Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Look Sister Steadman, no hands!

When I first began writing this project, I thought it was ridiculous. I didn't have anything in mind that I thought I could right about, I had no way of finding information about my family, and I had no motivation to do it. Now, after I had found a subject to write about, I've taken a deep interest in it. My subject relates directly back to my Dad and his loss of a twin in his teenage years. I've done some research on the subject and I never knew how hard something like that could be. I've never met him obviously since he died way before I was born, but I feel a connection to him. This subject is very emotional and kind of hard to write a research paper about since it is difficult to write about something so devastating while just stating the facts. My paper and my attitude has changed a lot since the very beginning, and it has definitely changed for the better.

"Is the grieving process really harder for people who have lost a twin than it is for those who have lost another family member or close friend?"

It has been proven that the loss of a twin is harder to come to terms with than any other loss in someones life, with the exception of a spouse. Twins form close bonds from the time they are within the womb, and there have been many cases of twins who lost their twin before birth who still have a sense of loss, and were very irritable as babies.

"Why should we put a focus on twins and their losses?"

We shouldn't necessarily focus on twins, but we cannot lose sight of the fact that they suffer more than the average person who has lost someone. They have a more powerful psychological bond with their twin, and they are more susceptible to depression, sense of loss, among many other issues. In some cases they need special care and special outreach to ensure that they recover.

No comments:

Post a Comment