Thursday, January 29, 2015

[2] Sickness

So for the past week I have been sick. Nothing major, just a cold mixed with a minor migraine and whatnot. I felt like death this weekend. For whatever reason, this weekend was really bad. Maybe it was being out in the snow up in Midway twice over the past week and a half, maybe it was just my time to be sick this season. Regardless, it was terrible. I woke up from a nap on Saturday and I was so delirious that I thought I was a computer motherboard.... I told Shani that I would rather have Ebola than experience what I was currently going through. Obviously that was an exaggeration, but regardless, I was not doing well.

During my time of horrible horrible sickness, I have learned a few things. I've learned a few things about life and the way people operate, especially relating to aspects of our innate human nature that we can't really turn off. I had learned a bit about love and the effort that those of us will put forth for those we care about. On a lighter note, I learned about the dangers of taking too much medication, and I learned that I really, really don't like being sick.

While I was sick, I took it upon myself to make sure that I didn't get those around me sick. I made sure to wash my hands often, I would sneeze and cough into my own shirt and avoid facing others, I even kissed my wife less! What led me to do this? I bring it all down to the fact that even though I don't have a personal connection with those around me, I understand the feeling of being sick and I don't wish that on other people. It's an ingrained human emotion I think, to not wish others pain. Yes, there are exceptions to this, like mentally ill people, or those who have wronged you, but the point I'm getting at is that we are all engrained with some sense of common courtesy. I find that interesting.

While I was sick, Shani took care of me and tried her best to nurse me back to health. Despite my out of this world analysis of my own state of being, she was doing a wonderful job. I can't help but be thankful that she was there to take care of me while I was coughing all over the place, and being generally all around gross. Love makes you do things like that. Love also makes you walk two miles on ice just so you can be there when your brother proposes, and love makes you say yes to a proposal even when it is freezing cold outside.

Sickness is a major annoyance, but the lessons that can be learned when you have a whole bunch of time alone with your thoughts is priceless. Pay attention to your own thoughts and write some stuff down. You'll be surprised about some of the stuff that you come to realize.


P.S. I started writing this post a few days ago, so I'll be writing another one tonight. Sorry 'bout it.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Dang bro. Sounds like it just wasn't your week. But you know what, Life is a garden... DIG IT! haha. I'll tell you what, it's good that you have someone special to take care of you. That is a bonus and it's like you said, for love people will do just about anything. So after this week is over and you are feeling better you better go take your lovely wife out to dinner and thank her for helping you get through this "obstacle" in your life. haha get feeling better man!

Unknown said...

I hope you are feeling better! What a blessing to have such a doting wife. Being sick is one of the worst feelings. They say if you don't have your health you don't have anything and I think it is true. With out your health it is difficult to accomplish much. But, being sick does help us to be grateful for our health, which we sometimes take for granted. Feel better!

Morgan Smith said...

Thats too bad to hear you were sick! but a blessing to you that your sweet wife was willing to serve you at this time! hopefully it can show you just how much people can need you and you can help and love them just as much as you were helped and loved!!

Post a Comment